"Pinakbet", Filipino Stir Fried Vegetables with Shrimp and Pork Belly
- wok or saute pan
- 1 lb pork belly
- 12 medium shrimp, shelled, deveined
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 medium tomato, cubed
- 1½ cups of water
- 24 pieces Chinese long string beans, cut into 2 inch long
- 6 okra, trimmed, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 Japanese eggplant, sliced into rounds
- 3 cups butternut squash
- 1 bittermelon,cut lenthwise, discard core and seeds, sliced into half rounds
- 2 tbsp "bagoong" or sauteed' shrimp paste
- in a wok or saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the pork belly, cook, stirring often until brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. In the same pan, add the garlic and onion, cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about five minutes. Then add the tomatoes, cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add back the pork, along with ginger, fish paste. Stir to combine. Then add the squash and water. Cover with lid and cook until squash is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables along with the shrimp paste. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for another 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Divide among bowls. Serve with steamed rice.