This is an everyday Filipino dish that I like to make in the Summer when tomatoes are so good and sweet. I used cod on this recipe. Tilapia or salmon is also good.
- saute pan
- frying pan
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil + 1/2 cup for frying
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- 1 ½ lbs cod fillets or 4 fillets, cut into halves (optional)
- ½ cup flour
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium hight heat. Add the garlic; cook, stirring often for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium. Add in the onions; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and juicy for 10 minutes. Add half a cup of water, salt and ground black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes. Pour the scrambled eggs all over; cook undisturbed for 2 minutes to allow the scrambled egg to form. When the eggs are done, mix and taste. Add more salt if needed. Remove from heat.
- Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper and then coat them with flour thinly. Pour 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, gently set the cod fillets into hot oil, two fillets at a time. Fry each side for 3 minutes or until medium golden brown. Remove from heat.
- To serve, place the cod on a plate and spoon a generous amount of sauce all over. Serve with sticky rice or Jasmine rice. Note: You can put two halves or one fillet on a plate with the sauce. Enjoy!