This Tomato-Curry Chicken is hearty, healthy, and delicious. A creamy, sweet, tangy, spicy and garlicky flavor burst!
- Dutch oven or sauce pot
- vegetable peeler
- paring knife
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, for each thigh cut approximately 6 pieces
- 1 tsp Kosher salt, or more, to taste
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 vine or plum tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup tomato paste (6 oz can)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (14.5 oz. can)
- 1 3/4 cups coconut milk (14.5 oz. can)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 14.5 oz can of Chickpeas, drained
- 1 medium size Russet potato
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, diced
- 1 bunch of spinach, discard stems or 2 cups of loose spinach
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel carrots, sweet potatoes and potatoes. Dice and set aside.
- Rinse the bell pepper. Using a sharp knife, cut off 1/2 inch of the top and bottom part. Cut in half, lengthwise. Remove and discard the stem, core and seeds, then dice.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or a sauce pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic, onion and ginger; cook, stirring often, until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the tomato paste, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, until the skin begins to turn slightly brown and the fat renders, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, turmeric, ground fennel, red pepper flakes, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, water, coconut milk, chickpeas, Russet potato, carrots, bell pepper and sweet potato. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach and stir to combine. Add salt, to taste. Remove from heat.
- Divide among plates. Serve with rice. Garnish with parsley.