Chicken Arroz Caldo
It's so good! This Chicken Arroz Caldo is the Philippines' version of chicken soup. Rice is simmered in chicken broth, ginger, garlic, fish sauce and onion. Garnished with boiled egg, chicken, garlic chips, green onions and "calamansi" juice. It's comfort food!
- sauce pot or saute pan
- small pot
- 2 small chopping boards
- small frying pan
- 4 eggs
- 2 chicken thighs (bone-in)
- 1 tbsp canola oil, plus 1 tsp
- 10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 3 "calamansi" or limes, cut in halves.
- Place 4 eggs in a small pot, fill it with cold water up to 1 inch above the egg. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove eggs and transfer to a bowl of water with ice.
- In another pan, like a saute pan, set over medium high heat, heat oil. Add half of the garlic, onion, ginger; cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant for 5 minutes. Add the chicken thighs; cook, stirring occasionally, until skin begins to brown and fat is rendered, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium heat. Add the rice, stirring often, about 1 minute. Stir in 8 cups of water and fish sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook, stirring often, until broth slightly thickens and rice is soft, about 20 minutes. Add white pepper and salt, to taste. Remove from heat. Remove the chicken thighs and place them on a cutting board. Using a small knife and fork, remove and discard the bones and skin, then using a knife, dice the chicken meat. Set aside.
- While the soup is cooking, peel the eggs, discard the shells; wipe the eggs with a kitchen towel to remove any remaining egg shells. Place eggs on a chopping board; dice or cut lengthwise into quarters. Set aside. To make the garlic chips, heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil in a small frying pan over medium low heat; add the remaining garlic; cook, stirring often, until color turns light brown, about 33 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide soup among bowls. Squeeze out the juice from a "calamansi " or lime and drizzle on top of the Chicken Arroz Caldo. Garnish with diced or sliced eggs, scallions, garlic chips and diced chicken. Serve immediately.