Creamy Polenta with Sausage Mushroom Ragu
- Dutch oven or large saute pan
- medium sauce pan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, remove the casing
- 1 small onion. diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 8 oz sliced mushroom
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup white wine
- 8½ cups water
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups polenta
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1/3 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup basil
- In a saute' pan, heat oil over medium hight heat. Add the Italian sausage; cook, until brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, rosemary and mushrooms; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chili flakes, diced tomatoes, wine, ½ cup of water, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and ground black pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer, stirring often, until the paste has dissolved, and sauce has thicken, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large sauce pot, add polenta, 8 cups of water and 2 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium low; cook, stirring constantly, until creamy, about 20 minutes. Then add the butter and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tbsp of creme fraiche.
- Divide the polenta among plates. Spoon the sauce on top. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese and garnish with basil.