Chicken Adobo with Coconut Milk
- Dutch oven or saute pan
- 2 lbs bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- In a pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken, using a spatula, turn chicken until all sides are browned and fat has rendered, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add the garlic, stirring constantly, until fragrant and soft, about 33 seconds. Stir in soy sauce, white wine vinegar, and coconut milk. Then add back the chicken along with the brown sugar, ground black pepper and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then simmer to medium low, turning chicken occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve with steamed rice.