Winter Veggie and Citrus Salad
A colorful bowl of root vegetable salad with sweet and tangy lemon-orange vinaigrette.
- small mixing bowl
- large mixing bowl
- chopping board
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 oranges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage
- 2 red radishes
- 3 purple carrots, peeled
- 1 fennel bulb with fronds
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Squeeze juice out of 2 oranges, enough for 1/4 cup of juice. Remove any seeds if any. Set aside.
- Lemon-Orange Vinaigrette: Crush 3 tablespoons of pine nuts; place in a small mixing bowl. Whisk in lemon juice, orange juice and olive oil. Season with salt, to taste, and pepper.
- Peel the remaining orange, remove and discard the peel, white pith and any seeds. Cut off both ends. Slice gently to make about 5 rounds or wheels approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Rinse and drain the cabbage. Remove the outer layer. Cut in half lengthwise. Cut out the triangular core. Slice the cabbage into thin threads or coarsely chop, your choice.
- Thinly slice the carrots and radishes into rounds or wheels. (I like this cut because it shows the interior color with colored trim.)
- Cut off the fennel fronds and stalks. Don't discard, as you can store them use later in soups. Remove and discard the outer layer. Trim off a little bit of the stem. Cut the bulb in half and slice into thin shreds.
- Toss orange slices, cabbage, carrots, radishes and fennel and the vinaigrette. Garnish with the remaining pine nuts and shaved parmesan cheese.